Noncustodial Parent Waiver Petition


Yale believes that both parents have a responsibility to contribute toward their child’s college education, even if they are divorced or separated. For this reason, we require financial information for both parents to generate a financial aid award. However, we understand that some families may have extenuating circumstances that would require an exception. In such cases, students may petition for a waiver of the noncustodial parent's financial information.

Please note: Submission of the waiver petition does not guarantee its approval. In addition, unwillingness to pay is not sufficient grounds for a waiver approval absent other contributing factors. Need-based aid is a measure of ability, not willingness, to pay for a student's college education.


To petition for a waiver, students should submit the documents listed below using CollegeBoard's IDOC upload service. Students who do not have access to IDOC may instead submit the documents directly to Yale using our Online Document Upload Tool or by fax or mail:

  • The Noncustodial Parent Waiver Petition form. Students are encouraged to write a personal statement on the last page of the form, providing details of their situation as appropriate.
  • A statement from a third party familiar with the student's family situation. It should come from a professional (other than a lawyer) who can verify information about the student/parent relationship. Such statements are often written by a counselor, religious leader, or teacher. Refer to the instructions on the waiver form for details.
  • If applicable, any documentation that substantiates or expands upon the family situation, such as restraining orders or other court documents.

If you are unsure what type of documentation to submit with a waiver petition, you can contact Undergraduate Financial Aid, and a financial aid counselor will advise you.

Students whose waiver petitions are approved do not need to resubmit a petition each year. The waiver approval will carry forward throughout the student's undergraduate career.

Student type: 
Prospective students, New students, Eli Whitney students, Transfer students
Student citizenship: 
U.S. citizens, Canadian citizens, International citizens (non-Canadian)